Competitor Info / FAQ
RUN ~ BIKE ~ HIKE ~ KAYAK
WAAR comprises of four disciplines, Run, Bike, Hike and Kayak, making up a 55.5K(approx) route.
There are five different categories you can enter, to suit all levels.
All individuals must complete all four disciplines. Run, Bike, Hike, Kayak (55.5k approx)
Teams of four, Person 1 Run, Person 2 Bike, Person 3 Hike, Person 4 Kayak.
Team of Two, Person 1 Run & Kayak, Person 2 Bike & Hike
This is an alternative WAAR Route which will comprise of three disciplines;
All individuals must complete all three disciplines, Run (5K), Bike (33K)
& Kayak (1K). (39k approx)
Back for 2023 is the Duathlon course which takes in the Run and Cycle Routes from the main WAAR event
New for 2023, WAAR Beag is a shorter course perfect for beginners. Competitors will take on two disciplines; Run and Bike
WHEN & WHERE
WAAR will once again start and finish at Clg Naomh Muire, The Banks Mullaghdearg, Co. Donegal. - Taking place on 13th May 2023.
Online Registration - Early Bird Open until 31 January
Online Registration 1 February - 7 March
Online Registration - Late Entry 8 March - 30 April
All Competitors Register Onsite Friday 12 May - 5pm to 8pm
Competitor Briefing Saturday 13 May - 7.30 am
WAAR will have a wave start with groups being staggered throughout the morning.
This allows all competitors to settle into the race at their comfort from the beginning.
Teams are allocated their wave and cannot leave at any other time.
Individual full course and Sprint competitors will be given a choice of waves when registering online, please choose a wave that suits your ability. You cannot change wave on the day.
Full Event: All seasoned competitors should enter wave 1. Only Wave 1 competitors are eligible for an overall prize
2023 Times are as follows: (This is approx and wave starts may change closer to the time, all competitors will receive final instructions before the race with final wave times)
Competitor Briefing - 7.30 am
Wave 1 - Elites: 8.10 am
Wave 2 - 8.30 am
Wave 3 - 8.50 am
Wave 3 - Teams: 8.50 am
Sprint Briefing - 9.15 am
Wave 1 Sprint - Elite: 10.00 am
Wave 2 Sprint - 10.10 am
Wave 3 Sprint - 10.20 am
Please Note: These times are provisional and dependent on runway clearance and other factors.
* The Mandatory Kit that has been specified for this event must be carried at all
times. You will not be allowed to start the race without it. There will be inspections at Friday evening registration and at the start line.
* It is advised not to take food, drink or any equipment from anybody other than
the event marshals.
* Please obey the race organisation at all times. This includes Civil Defense, Mountain Rescue, Gardai, Volunteers and all race personnel. Failure to heed marshals will result in time penalties and/or disqualification.
* DO NOT LITTER
* You can only use one bike. You will be given a sticker with your competitor
number, which must be fixed on front of your bike until the race is complete.
* There is no cycling in the transition area. Walk with your bike out of transition and only mount it when you pass the marshals on the road. Similarly on your return, before re-entering transition area, you must dismount your bike. Stewards will warn cyclists to prepare to slow down/dismount.
* Drafting behind a moving vehicle will NOT be tolerated as this represents an unfair advantage & will result in automatic disqualification.
* It is your responsibility to ensure that you are time checked at each station, (which will be in the form of a mat). Mats are located at the transition areas and at the top of the hill.
Competitors must run across the mats to log their time.
* It is the competitors responsibility to take care of their timing chip, your timing chip is located on your race number. If you loose you number you will not receive an overall time.
* Competitors who retire must immediately report in person to race officials at the start/finish area to inform them you are no longer on the coarse.
* Do NOT trespass. You must stay on the marked course and never cut corners.
Any participant found outside of the marked course will be disqualified.
* If you come across a competitor in difficulty please help them first and then
inform the nearest marshal.
* Safety personnel reserve the right to remove any competitors from the event who they believe are putting themselves or others in undue danger.
* Water stations are located at T1 and T2
* Do not leave anything behind in the Transition Areas as this may be moved or cleared after race.
* In the interest of safety ear phones, iPods, MP3 Players etc. are not allowed.
* When paying for your entry to WAAR it is stipulated that this is a non-refundable payment. As soon as a competitor enters, costs such as admin etc. are incurred. It is not possible to transfer entries to next year’s event, we do however allow competitors to substitute their entry for another person, up to closing of registration.
The Mandatory kit is for your own safety and you will not be allowed to start the
race without it.
* Cycling Helmet
* Survival Blanket
* Energy Food and Drink
* Small First-Aid Kit (Minimum 1 Dressing Pad, 1 bandage and plasters)
No Kit, No Start!
Bike best suited:
* Road Bike with Gator Skins Tyres
Transition Areas will work as a one-way system where all competitors must follow the same route.
T1 - Return from run, collect bike and walk to the exit gate. Competitors are not to mount their bikes in the Transition area.
T2 - All competitors must slow down approaching the transition area and dismount their bike, regardless of which course you are doing. Competitors who are doing the hill climb will rack their bike in the transition area and follow a clock wise route to the start of the hill. When leaving the hill you will continue in the clockwise route back to your bike. You cannot mount your bike until you have left the transition area.
Duathlon and Team competitors who are not doing the hill climb must dismount their bikes at T2 and walk through the transition area before getting back on their bikes. T2 Map
T3 - When competitors arrive back at T3 they must dismount their bikes and follow a clockwise route to their bike rack. Bikes must be put back at their allocated slots. T3 Map
All transition areas will be included in your overall time, the only timeout on the course is at the kayak section, if there is no kayak available when you arrive your time will be stopped until one becomes available.
Individuals will have a disposable timer inside their race number, please bear this in mind when wearing jackets etc. If you loose your race number on the course we cannot give you an overall time. It is each persons responsibility to time out at each section by running over the designated timer mats.
Teams will have timers in the form of a relay race, where the timer will be passed from one team member to another at the end of each section. This will allow for a breakdown of times at the finish line along with your overall team time.
All timers will be handed out at registration on Friday evening.
It is each teams responsibility to look after their timer. Lose of timer will result in a €100 fee.
All entrants must be aged 16 and over on the day of the event.
All minors must complete a permission form with parent / guardian signature, please click on the link below and download the form and bring along to registration on Friday 12th May.
Exceptions will NOT be given to anyone who fails to provide a completed form.
Spectators are not permitted at transition areas, particularly where bikes are coming
in/out, in order to avoid collision. There will be no access to the hill at Meenawheel, we recommend all spectators to go the Banks, Mullaghdearg and cheer all competitors across the finish line.
1st Female 1st Male
2nd Female 2nd Male
3rd Female 3rd Male
1st Male over 50 - Overall Course
1st Female over 50 - Overall Course
1st Sprint Overall
1st Male Sprint 1st Female Sprint
2nd Male Sprint 2nd Female Sprint
3rd Male Sprint 3rd Female Sprint
1st Male Duathlon 1st Female Duathlon
1st Female 1st Male
2022 RESULTS: WAAR (2022) Results | SportSplits
2019 WAAR RESULTS: https://www.sportsplits.com/races/15415
2018 WAAR RESULTS: http://www.elitetiming.co.uk/Results/Waar/Results.html